Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tell Someone!

August 30, 2011


"So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ." Romans 10:17


Driving in my car this weekend I listened to a shocking statistic on the radio: less than one percent of the population in Wales has a relationship with Jesus Christ. Maybe I heard incorrectly, as I find that number nearly incomprehensible, but I think the gist of the story remains the same. "Lord, send workers their way!" I prayed. However, the speaker then revealed something I find even more troubling: Christianity once prevailed in Wales. Consider the massive cathedrals. At one time the people of Wales prioritized their faith and their need for a place of worship. Today, according to the speaker, the church remains largely unused.

What happened?

I realize some people groups remain unreached by the Good News. But once you've heard and received the message of the gospel, how does one go backwards? I know of just one way--we fail to remember the greatness of God (Deuteronomy 8:18). We stop seeking His Kingdom first (Matthew 6:33). We become remiss in telling our children about the wonderful works of the Lord (Deuteronomy 6:7). Romans 10:17 says that faith comes from hearing. When we stop speaking, others stop believing.

One of the magnets on our refrigerator contains this quote from Edmund Burke, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Satan would love nothing more than for us to believe that others don't need to hear us speak of our faith. The past two summers I have enjoyed the privilege of attending She Speaks, a Christian speakers and writers conference for women. Over 650 gals attend this conference each year. Immersed in a sea of women I find it easy to doubt that I have anything of significance to offer to the body of Christ. Listening to highly experienced, greatly talented speakers tempts me to question whether I'll ever be able to communicate as effectively as these wonderful ladies. However, when I feel tempted to waiver in the message God has placed upon my heart, His Word speaks truth. In Luke 10:2, Jesus said the harvest is GREAT and the workers are FEW.

Sisters, let us continue to share the Good News with all we meet. Let us heed the words of Deuteronomy 6 and begin with our own families. Maybe you believe but don't feel confident in your ability to communicate the message of Christ to others. Nonchalantly pass along a link to this blog. Pray along with me that God would make us sensitive to the spiritual needs of those around us. Pray that God would renew our sense of awe over Him. A sense of wonder and gratitude so strong we can't help but to tell someone!

No comments: