Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Very Present Help

November 22, 2011


"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble." Psalm 46:1

An innocent joke in Sunday school left one of our sweet daughters in tears after class this week. When I first spoke with my daughter she simply appeared to be in a very foul mood. Little by little the story began to unfold. My heart nearly burst with pride at the realization that she had come to me for help; that my normally independent, tight-lipped daughter trusted me to guide her through a time of trouble.

Oh, how our Heavenly Father longs for us to come to Him in the same manner. He is our refuge and our strength. Our very present help in times of trouble.

Though as a parent I like to believe that I am always available to help my children, there are times when I simply unaccessible. Whether my children and I find ourselves separated by a mere classroom or by some other physical or even emotional distance, there will prove to be times when I fail to be of any assistance to my little ones.

But not the Lord. God is always ready, willing and more than able to help His children when we need it most.

God is our very present help. Psalm 139:5 tells us that God "hems us in from behind and before." God has promised, "Never will I leave you. Never will I forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5) God knows the trials we endure. He also knows how to use those trials for our good and for His glory. Jeremiah 33:3 tells us to call to Him

As my daughter shared her burden with me her mood immediately seemed to lift. I affirmed her concerns and offered her strategies for the next time she encounters a similar situation. After our discussion we stood together alongside our church family and praised the Lord through song.

Is there a situation which has you down?

Cry out to the Lord. He is your refuge and your strength. He is your very present help during times of need.


No comments: