Thursday, May 3, 2012

Band-Aids

May 3, 2012



"But Jesus said, 'Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the
Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.'" Matthew 19:14

Last night while helping teach four-year-old choir, the teacher became the student as the children taught me a great lesson in curiosity and compassion. In what typically proves to be an hour of organized chaos (20 four year olds in a class with 3 adults, need I say more?), nearly half of the class paused at some point to inquire about a Band-Aid on one of my fingers. Granted, I was wearing a Strawberry Shortcake Band-Aid to go along with my ensemble, but the care and concern of the children blew me away.

Children aren't afraid to show compassion for other people. To be fair I'll admit that sometimes children so no concern for others, but generally speaking, when kids see someone hurt they want to know what's wrong.

When was the last time you noticed someone wearing a Band-Aid? I'm not talking about an adhesive bandage that you pull from a box. I'm referring to the things we sometimes use to cover wounds which lie beneath the skin.

There are those who choose to wear neon-colored Band-Aids, crying out for attention.

There are those who select camouflage-printed Band-Aids in attempt to hide their wounds.

There are those who prefer Band-Aids adorned with the face of a cartoon character, covering the hurt by pretending to be someone they are not.

There are those who wear jumbo-sized Band-Aids because their injury is simply too large to conceal.

There are those who can get by with Band-Aids the size of a small circle, almost as if the penetration of their soul never occurred.

And then there are those who wear Plain Jane Band-Aids to avoid calling any attention to their needs.

Let us all be like the little children. The next time we notice someone wearing a Band-Aid let us be sure to stop and ask if we can help right the wrong.


No comments: