Thursday, August 2, 2012

Too Hungry for Words

August 2, 2012


"People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4

People often ask me, "What kind of food did you eat in Africa?" And I describe to them the menu of the two-thirds world: rice, beans and potatoes. For three weeks our in-country hosts served us more food than we could eat. Unlike many of my national brothers and sisters I had no reason to feel hungry in Africa.

But I did feel hungry. I longed for variety, for seasoning, for a handful of good-for-nothing food, for . . . microwave popcorn and a bag of sour cream and onion flavored potato chips.

Traveling abroad awakened me to the ugly reality of my dependency on food. Our menu covered all the basic food groups but I found myself craving more. Why? Other than fresh fruits (which we couldn't eat for risk of infection) I had all I needed. Still I felt too hungry for words. Until I met my brothers and sisters.

Somehow transition to word of God.


No comments: