Monday, February 24, 2014

In Need of a Cleanup?

February 24, 2014

"And since we have a great High Priest who rules over God’s house, let us go right into the
presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting Him. For our guilty
consciences have been sprinkled with Christ’s blood to make us clean,
and our bodies have been washed with pure water.
" Hebrews 10:21-22


Warning--the following post contains subject matter suitable only for mamas and the most dedicated daddies. I consider my husband a dedicated dad but even he turns green in the face anytime the kids get sick to their stomach.

Yes, this entry is about the dreaded stomach bug. My goal is not to over-spiritualize the circumstances of life but to share how I believe God reveals His love to us even in the most grotesque situations.

Two weeks ago half of our family fell victim to the stomach bug; a virus so nasty we count its duration in hours, not days. Our youngest suffered effects from the virus the longest, for an exhausting 72 hours.

Our little one first grew sick one day after lunch. As the hours passed I waited to determine if his sickness would prove a one-time occurrence or if he indeed had the bug. As night fell I listened ever so closely to the baby monitor. Suddenly I heard an all too familiar sound. I rushed into our baby's room to find him covered--from head to toe--in proof that he had a stomach bug. But as grotesque as my son appeared, as rank as he smelled I also recognized the desperation of his circumstances.

My son was in need of a cleanup. A desperate need. My son needed a cleanup he could not perform on himself. The mess proved too large, too foul, too repulsive for anyone else to clean. This was a mess only a loving parent could step-in and perform.

Did I turn away from my son in disgust? No. The thought of abandoning my son in his condition never even entered my mind. My son needed a savior. And at that late-night hour I was the only one who could help him.

Oh friends, do you see the parallel?

Before we enter into a relationship with God through faith in His Son Jesus, WE are the child covered in the mess of sin. The effects of sin prove too large, too foul, too grotesque for anyone else to make us clean. Only our Heavenly Father has the power and strength to make us clean. We are made clean only by the blood of Christ.

How many people do you know who believe they must clean themselves before they come to God? Maybe you find yourself in need of a cleanup today. Don't attempt a cleanup alone. The mess of sin proves too powerful to handle on our own.

God invites us to come boldly--just as we are--to His throne through faith in Christ. There we will
receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it
most. (Hebrews 4:16)


No comments: