Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Reality of God's Kingdom

May 25, 2014

“Since you have been
raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of Heaven,
where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand.” Colossians 3:1

Occasionally I question my decision to leave behind my young
family for a three-week trek in Africa. Sometimes my choice feels irresponsible,
and even a tad-bit selfish. However, if I believe in the reality of God’s
Kingdom I would be foolish not to follow God wherever He leads.

Colossians 3:1-2 remind me to set my sights on the realities of Heaven, to think about the
things of Heaven, not the things of earth. When I consider the reality of God’s
Kingdom my priorities change.

Hebrews 9:27 explains that “each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment.”
God will judge my final resting place based on my faith in Christ’s provision
for my sin. Ephesians 2:8 tells me that God saves me by His grace when I
believe. The salvation of my soul depends on faith and faith alone.

However, as a believer God will also judge the value of my
“work” on earth. Did I spend time and energy loving God and loving others? Did
I spend my resources helping make known the great news about God’s Kingdom?

2 Corinthians 5:10 reads, “For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive
whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.”


1 Corinthians 3:13-15 tells me that “on judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each ‘builder’ has
done. The fire will show if a person’s work has any value. If the work
survives, that builder will receive a reward. But if the work is burned up, the
builder will . . . be saved, but like someone barely escaping through a wall of
flames.”


At the end of time my work will be evaluated, not for dollar
value but for Kingdom value. At first
glance, returning to Africa seems crazy. But if I consider the reality of God's Kingdom, returning to Africa seems the
only responsible way to live.


No comments: