Saturday, February 4, 2012

Oh Me of Little Faith

February 4, 2012

"And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that
are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care
for you. Why do you have so little faith?
" Matthew 6:30


I dislike the dentist. No offense Dr. T, but I would rather do most anything else than have my mouth examined. Last week was my semi-annual checkup. No biggie, just a cleaning . . . and a fitting for a hugely romantic night-guard (apparently I'm back to grinding my teeth again at night, something I struggle with every few years).
Other than the pink goo my dentist used to take an impression of my teeth my appointment went rather smoothly. That is, until we received notice in the mail from our insurance company that we no longer have dental insurance.

Oops.

It seems that amidst HR changes within my husband's company we failed to renew our policy. Genius of us, I know.

God, where were you on that one?
I questioned. Finances are tight. We do our best to honor you with our "wealth" (Proverbs 3:9). How can we honor you when we face a huge medical bill from the dentist? How can we save for a rainy day when we continue to shell out large lump sums to doctors?

Amidst my whining and complaining I decided to open the rest of our mail.

And there it was.

A notice from a different company that we are due a reimbursement check for twice the amount of what we owe the dentist office.

I fell to my knees and cried.

Father, I'm not worthy of your grace. Oh me of little faith! How could I question you? Accuse you? You remain faithful to me even when I am unfaithful to you (2 Timothy 2:13) . . .


I debated on sharing our mailbox miracle. First, it makes my husband and me look a little silly. More importantly, I know some pray without ceasing yet the check never comes.

Sometimes God provides for us financially. Other times He provides a shoulder to cry on or the strength to endure. He always offers Himself, which is all any of us really need.

“That is why I tell you not to worry about
everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes
to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing?
 Look
at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for
your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to Him
than they are?
Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?"



“And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing,
 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 
And
if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and
thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you. Why do
you have so little faith?"



“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’
 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:25-33


I do not know why God chose to pour out His blessings on us this time but He did, and He deserves all the credit my feeble fingers can type.

What are you in need of today? I would consider it an honor to pray with you.



No comments: