Saturday, January 11, 2014

Bringing our Kids to Jesus

January 11, 2014

"One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so He could lay His
hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples scolded the parents
for bothering Him." Matthew 19:13


Today I found myself captivated by the actions of a particular set of parents. I did not witness these parents' actions firsthand nor was it something I read about in the news headlines. I happened upon this non-traditional mom and pop in Matthew 19:13.

In his gospel Matthew tells us, "one day some parents brought their children to Jesus so He could lay His
hands on them and pray for them."
But Matthew goes on to admit, "the disciples scolded the parents
for bothering Him [Jesus]."


Why did I find the actions of these parents worthy of reflection? Because the reaction of the disciples to the parents leads me to believe that in biblical times most people failed to place any value on children. Why else would the disciples have considered the children a "bother?" Yet regardless of the value (or lack thereof) that the world placed on their children these parents risked everything to lead their children to the King.

Matthew's story forces me to ask myself: Am I willing to bring my kids to Jesus even if it means enduring ridicule and rebuke? Or am I more concerned with what the world might say about my efforts to lead our children to God?

The ways of the world run contrary to the ways of God.

The world says, "Me first," but the Word says, "Deny self." (Matthew 16:24)

The world says, "Get revenge," but the Word says, "Turn the other cheek." (Matthew 5:39)

The world says, "Money and achievement matter," but the Word says, "Sell your possessions and give to the poor," and, "Give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord." (Matthew 19:21 and 1 Corinthians 15:58)

During a time when most of the world failed to recognize Jesus as the Son of God a few wise parents refused to conform to worldly thinking and instead took their beloveds directly to Him.

Is the world really all that different today? During a time when most of the world fails to recognize Jesus and His Ways may I refuse to conform to the ways of the world and instead take my children straight to Him.


As we begin a new year with new routines and new schedules, or maybe instead of returning to the same ol' schedule, let me consider how I can make more time, be more intentional about bringing my kids to Jesus.


No comments: