Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Monotony of Motherhood

January 8, 2014

"Then He said to them, 'Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on My behalf welcomes Me, and anyone who welcomes Me also welcomes My Father who sent Me. Whoever is the least among you is the greatest.'" Luke 9:48

As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes motherhood feels monotonous. Caring for the same kids with the same needs can leave a mama feeling tired and worn out, longing for a change of pace. But before I give in to the cravings of my flesh I turn to the Word to remind myself of what God has to say about these little ones.

“Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on My behalf welcomes Me, and anyone who welcomes Me also welcomes My Father who sent Me. Whoever is the least among you is the greatest.”
(Luke 9:48)

Jesus says that when I welcome my children I am welcoming Him. And when I receive Jesus I get the Father too.

Jesus' words grant me a new perspective on my early risers.

When I fix breakfast (again) for my children, I fix breakfast for Jesus. When I wash my children's dishes (again), I wash dishes for Jesus. When I pull out our school books (again) I teach my children about Jesus. When I kiss the tiniest scrape or bandage a bleeding wound; when I change my tenth diaper for the day (and then change my shirt which caught remnant from the diaper); when I moderate Lego disputes; when I wash hair; when I brush teeth; when I read a bedtime story, sometimes two; I do it all as unto Jesus IF and only if I receive these children in His name.

Father, forgive me for the times that I fail to see my children for who they are--gifts from You. Help me to break the monotony of motherhood by seeing each need of my children as an opportunity to serve You.


No comments: