Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My Lil' Sinner

January 22, 2014

"When Adam sinned, sin entered the world. Adam’s sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned." Romans 5:12

Sometimes I find the concept of natural sin difficult to grasp. Scripture tells me I entered the world with a sinful nature. Really? A cute little baby a sinner? But just the other day I saw in my own cute little baby the consequence of natural sin.

My 9-month old loves to crawl. He has yet to learn how to crawl on his hands and knees but with our tile floors he can scoot himself on his belly through our home faster than any army-guy I know. Recently I caught a glimpse of our little one rounding the corner toward our office in which lies many tempting items for Baby--wires, uncovered electrical outlets, buttons on the computer, etc. "No, no," I said to our son. He looked over his little shoulder at me, grinned his four-tooth grin, turned back and began to crawl into our office as fast as his little body could wiggle.

"My lil' sinner,"
I gasped!

No one taught our son to disobey. At 9-months old my son fails to realize the implications of his choices. It is simply his nature--our nature--the nature which descended to us from Adam and Eve.

In Genesis 2:17 the Parent said, "No." But the daughter and son failed to heed the Parent's warning. The children looked over their shoulder, turned back and moved forth in their actions. The children believed that what lied ahead would prove better, more entertaining than what the Parent had already provided for them.

All--ALL--have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23, emphasis mine)
The penalty of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

The sin of one
man, Adam, brought death to many. But even greater is God’s wonderful
grace and his gift of forgiveness to many through another man, Jesus
Christ. 
And
the result of God’s gracious gift is very different from the result of
that one man’s sin. For Adam’s sin led to condemnation, but God’s free
gift leads to our being made right with God, even though we are guilty
of many sins.
Yes, Adam’s one sin brings
condemnation for everyone, but Christ’s one act of righteousness brings
a right relationship with God and new life for everyone. (Romans 5:15-16, 18)


My lil' sinner needs a Savior. So do I. So do you.

The Savior's name is Jesus.


No comments: